Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Top 10 Pro Wrestling Entrances


The wrestling entrance might be the single biggest identifier of a pro wrestler's success. The WWE won't give you a big time entrance if they Vince doesn't view you as a top-card guy. There's a reason that Undertaker's entrance is so F'ing long because Vince wants you to know how important he is. 

While some may argue that actual in-ring prowess or charisma better identifies the top guys and gals, I'm focusing on the entrances, simply because I can't think of anyone whoever made it to the top of the card that didn't have an elite entrance.
   
We here at MNIJATAMT (pretty catchy, huh? The M is silent FYI.) aren't afraid to tackle controversy. We're not afraid to go where the mainstream won't. We don't shy away from it because without controversy we cannot start the all-important dialogue. Therefore, it's time to start the discussion so that we can actually get some answers. 

I understand that this blog will cause strife, but I believe this is an important blog because the conversation needs to get real. Without further adieu, here are my Top-10 entrances.

No. 10 - The New Aged Outlaws 


Leading us off is the perfect tone setter for the night, The New Aged Outlaws. They embodied the Attitude Era -- brash, risque, engaging. 

No. 9 - Chris Jericho 


Chris Jericho's first run absolutely oozed charisma. He's still one of the finest heels in the game, so good that I can't believe the WWE ever tried to make him a baby face.


No. 8 - CM Punk (Cult of Personality)


The Best in The World. Tough to argue. He's missed although I wish he would be a grown up and realize he's only hurting himself by not wrestling any more. Making the leap to MMA while pushing 40 is a bold play. Also we either have him to thank or blame, not sure which, for shattering the glass about Roman Reigns. The day that he publicly said that the entire mission of the WWE was to make Roman appear strong in all of his matches, Roman was forever tainted. RIP, Roman Empire, enjoy eating those pins for the foreseeable future.

No. 7 - Hulk Hogan


Not really fair, to be honest. The song is titled Real American and has a kick ass guitar riff. It was set up for success. 

No. 6 - Finn Balor


I didn't realize that Finn's entrance was the source of discord that it currently is among fans until he was added to the Main Roster. While I admit that the Raw video team did him no favors in how the presented the entrance, the fact that some many people thought it poor bothered me. His entrance reeks of big time and has the demon element in mind at all times. The demon puts asses in seats, but the entire crowd's participation in the arm flailing is what makes this an all-time for me. 

No. 5 - Brock Lesnar


Brock Lesnar might be the scariest man on the planet, and his entrance reflects as much. It's terrifying, truly terrifying and filled with raw power. I'm still not convinced that he did steroids rather his body just naturally produces testosterone levels only seen in steroid users.

No. 4 Daniel Bryan

I struggle with DB's entrance because I believe that his chant was more over than his entrance itself was. However, you have to include the chant because the crowds sure as hell did. As discussed earlier, participation points matter.

No. 3 - Mr. McMahon

Quite simply, he's the greatest heel that ever lived, both on and off screen. 

No. 2 - DX

DX's full entrance might be the most complete entrance as it has everything -- a song with a hook, arm motions, fan participation, and cheer that invited everyone to use a socially taboo phrase (for its time). All you need to know about their entrance is that every kid watching wrestling had no idea that they were supposed to be the bad guys. Everyone wanted to be HHH just for the walkout alone -- The Pedigree didn't hurt either because it was a move that everyone could execute on their buddies at home. I had no idea what a degenerate was, but I just knew I wanted to be one.^

^Writer's note: After a self evaluation, I can actually claim that I accomplished a life goal.  

No. 1 Stone Cold

Hate all you want, but there's no denying that once the glass shattered that the GOAT was on his way. It's beauty is its simplicity. It doesn't try too hard or do too much. It simply lets you know that an ass kicking is on the way.



I understand much of the criticism from this blog will be that I've shown too much favoritism to the Attitude and New Era, but I would counter that I always believe that if given a level playing field, athletes and performers will always get better as they have to on account of survival. The peak for entrances will always be the Attitude Era in my mind because those wrestlers had the benefit of being part of both a ratings war and part of an independently held company. Once the company went public and decided to present a more family-oriented product, the playing field was no longer fair. 

Here are the honorable mentions that just missed the cut.


Shinsuke Nakamura


The ultimate endorsement that I can give Nakamura's entrance is that I had no idea who he was prior to his arrival at NXT, other than having bigger wrestling fans tell me that he was a big deal, and by the time that he got to the ring for his match with Sami Zayn at Takeover: Dallas, I was all in. By the end of the match, I immediately understood what everyone was telling me. He's electric and a natural-born star. I SO can't wait for Vince to turn him into a ninja and ruin his career. Speaking of Zayn

Sami Zayn


The entrance is made primarily made by the song making it miss out. However, the song feels like the perfect blend of the Crash Test Dummies and the Dropkick Murphies, a combination that basically encompasses Zayn to a T.

Masked Kane

While I think the Undertaker's entrance is overrated, I think that Kane's is actually slightly underrated. However, I admit that I am a sucker for Pyro.

Shane O'Mac



I think my favorite part about Shane's return is that Vince's idea to save a sinking ship was simply to add another McMahon to the mix. That'll do it.

Sting

Sting aged about as well as a fine Moscato. 

Undertaker

Just because I said it's overrated doesn't mean that it sucks.

Kurt Angle

God bless wrestling fans, every one of them. The "You Suck" chant on time is so simple yet so hauntingly beautiful. And the cousin of that entrance...

John Cena

I'll say it. I don't have a problem with Cena. Dude has carried the company for a decade and never stops working. In fact he just works more. He learned Mandarin in his late 30s because he thought it would help his company. 

The Rock

Is there anything to it? No, but he's the most electrifying man in sports entertainment. Therefore, I owe him a mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment